Yesterday I joined Tim Cook in child-like wonder as he demonstrated how to answer a phone call on a watch—something I’ve wanted to do since I was a child. It was a simple and powerful moment.
Of the long list of incredible things an Apple Watch can do, answering a phone call is somewhat of a footnote. However, during his keynote, Tim paused and shared the amazement of being able to answer a phone call on his watch. And the audience shared in the emotion.
Today, I’m heading to the ITEX Show. (Check out our Power Hour on Social Media and Sales Thursday at noon.) One of my favorite things is browsing the show floor and seeing the latest technologies in action. But sometimes, I think the dizzying pace of technological innovation leaves me numb to amazement. When you look at the long list of features in any new technology it’s easy to glaze over.
For those of us in sales and marketing, what we need to realize is that people are looking to us to be amazed.
How many product launches did you sit through in the last year?
Did you leave with a sense of amazement?
You and I have the privilege of working on the cutting edge of technology. Our prospects, friends, and family would love to be amazed.
As ambassadors of technology, it’s our job to bring enthusiasm and energy to new innovations. This fuels connection and builds trust.
Whether you are in sales, marketing, or customer service, find one new thing to be excited about related to the technology you sell. To help you get started, inside the office technology space, consider some of these simple but amazing things you can now do:
- Scan and sign a document with a mobile phone (try DocuWare’s cool PaperScan app)
- Pull up a web page or document on the internet from the control panel of an MFP and print it
- Write notes with my Livescribe pen and have them wirelessly sync as searchable files in Evernote.
- Answer business phone calls to my extension on a desktop phone, computer, or mobile device
- Have an I.T. technician in another office monitor my network and install software updates
- Print in color with magazine quality at the same speed as black in white
- Send fax from my email
- Print a document from my mobile phone
- Plant a tree every time my office consumes 8,333 pieces of paper (see my friends at Print ReLeaf)
- Scan and print wide format drawings from a job site
- Access any document I need in seconds from my desktop, laptop, tablet or phone
- Instantly see a caller’s record and social media posts in my CRM when I answer the phone
- Print a Word or Powerpoint document as a folded and stapled booklet
- Write a LinkedIn post on your iPad from a plane
The list could go on and on…
Here’s my challenge to you today:
Find one aspect of the technology you sell that you can be amazed about and share it with everyone you meet today.
Next, share your enthusiasm by commenting on this post: What technology are you excited about today?
Image from ABC News.
Originally published on LinkedIn Pulse.